Latest News

tasmania news pageheader

HCC rejects a cableway company proposal

Cable Care MWCC

The state government's expressed its disappointment in a Hobart City Council committee ruling out a study of fauna and flora on council land, for the Mount Wellington Cable Car project.

The Cableway Company, which is behind the proposal, has accused the five aldermen on the committee of bias, having previously expressed their opposition to the entire idea.

The Park and Recreation committee unanimously voted in favour of Alderman Jeff Briscoes motion for no council land on the mountain to be made available for the construction of any infrastructure relating to the cable car.

It will go to a full council vote on August 20. 

Chairman of the Cableway Company Jude Franks said the company was taking legal advice on whether it is ethical for the alderman to vote at that the full Council meeting.

“I think the people of Hobart will see this for what it was – a kangaroo court designed to crush the cable car project before we are given the opportunity to submit a development application,” Ms Franks said.

Several ministers of Tasmanian government expressed their disppointment over the rejection.

Treasurer Peter Gutwein said it was not surprising though. 

"The Hodgman Liberal Government is a strong supporter of a cable car on Mt Wellington but we have always said it must obtain all of the necessary approvals, including those that protect Tasmania’s natural environment.

"What should be understood is that the study would only have further informed the Council’s decision making process and it is concerning that the council seems determined not to take this sensible step," said Treasurer Gutwein.